Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Coming out the other side.

Or, we lived through it.

Geez.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday we were transported into hell.  In a hot hand-basket.  It reached a heat index of 110 on Saturday and, after thinking we'd gotten a break because of the big-ass thunderstorm Saturday night, Sunday proved to be almost as bad.

My usual cranky self was held in check because I have company, the humidity turned me into wet lettuce, and I didn't have the energy to crank.  Even my BGPs were sodden.  TMI???

Rosie's dog, Fae, a sweet-natured fluffy dumpling, is highly panicked by thunder and lightening.  The skies opened Saturday, late afternoon, and the storms rolled through continuously until early Sunday morning.  Lots of lightening and thunder.  It was a rough night all around (although - no watering....)

This was the state of all of us by Sunday morning:
Fae

Lovey

Guess who.  Yes, it is 105 degrees.
We officially declared Sunday as a Slug-fest - and not the kind where you fling your fists around.  The kind where you collapse where you are and spend the day barely awake.  We watched episodes of Midsummer Murder and The Incredibles - 1 and 2.  Then we ate a big fruit salad and topped the day off by going to bed by 8:30.  We know how to have fun.

Monday morning, the rain started and didn't stop until this morning.  I will not have to water the garden for a good two days.  No complaints there, but the weeds they be a-growin!  I am hoping that things will simmer down (and not be a repeat of last weekend), so that I can get out and get things done.

15 comments:

Lynne said...

We've had the high temps here also, with high humidity! Ugh! Then last night we had tornado warnings. It hit further down the Cape from us. I don't ever remember having tornado warning in this area in my whole life. there's always a first time for everything. Hope the heat breaks soon! ox

Michelle said...

Much on your plate these days??? 😉 Thinking cooling, calming thoughts towards you....

Rain said...

Our humidity broke yesterday but we definitely had the slug-fest weekend too! And yup, just like PB, Jack was under the blankets the entire sweltering time! :)

Mama Pea said...

I hear you. Our humidity has gone down a little in the last two days (hooray!) but was bad this weekend. Daughter was here Saturday (very, very humid and doing anything physical was not a good idea) and I came out of the bathroom grumbling, "I just hate it when your body is so sweaty that you can't pull your underpants up." "I knooowww!" was her reply. (Probably TMI here, too, eh?)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope you get some cooler weather soon!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

the old farmer's almanac sure got the weather wrong. we were supposed to be cooler than normal. this last heatwave almost did me in! and with a barely working a/c. today was a little cooler but just when i cool down, the heat is going up again. i am not handling global warming very well. F-trump!

Leigh said...

That's the thing about rain! It's welcome for the veggies but not for the weeds! And they seem to take advantage more. Still, nice to hear you survived your ordeal by scorching heat. We've got cooler temps for awhile now too. Very welcome.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I feel you on the weed part. My garden is a hot mess. We are finally in a cool down now. Jesse hates thunderstorms too.

Ed said...

I'm glad that stuff moved east of us. I'm sorry you live east of us. That was brutal.

Susan said...

Got to love the Butter. Humid as you know what here too.

ellen abbott said...

welcome to my world except we are having an unknown at this time of year 'cool' front. down in the 60s at night, barely breaking into the 90s during the day with low humidity. it won't last but it sure is pleasant.

Nancy In Boise said...

100 here 2 days ago, but your humidity is worse! Hang in there

MargaretP said...

Midsummer murders ?.....No , you put on the DVD "The day After Tomorrow" and you will be shivering in no time. 😁

Donna OShaughnessy said...

Hell in a hot hand basket. Love that! We too slammed with heat in central Illinois this past weekend but like the eejits we are, we put up a new fence! Totally wiped us out. Loving the cool nights we are getting this week. Sadly, no rain for us and our pastures are very parched.

Retired Knitter said...

The weather has been terrible here as well. We have air conditioning, thank God. I know it is wasteful of the planet's resources but the temps have been dangerous. And the air quality poor - I needed air conditioning just to breathe. I console myself with the thought that I live in a small space and I am air cooling only the spaces I need - not a jumbo size house.