Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

A lesson in patience.


The Big Move finally took place on Friday and Saturday.  The office administrator and her assistant, and the IT guy came up and we all held our breath - hoping the moving guys would show up on Saturday, too.  My 15 emails requesting assurance that they would be at our building Saturday morning - but what time? - were answered with one email.  Containing one word.  Yes.

We did what we could on Friday afternoon, since we didn't have a locking door until then.  The OA and and AOA left for their hotel, leaving the IT guy and me to run around like lunatics.  I was back at the office at 8A and - halleluiah - the mover was there.  But, wait.  There was L - in charge and with YEARS (hint hint) of experience; R - an adorable 300+ lb young man with loads of personality but little moving experience; and J - an adorable 90 lb young man with even less moving experience.

This is what we had to move:  an executive suite of furniture which included a massive desk with attached built in wall and cabinets.  Easily over 6' high by 6' wide.  A massive conference room table.  Two massive TV screens.  A lot of art.  Four oversized modern, heavy chairs.  A massively massive reception desk - with a full top and front slab of 1-1/2" marble.  Are you starting to see the problem here?

I won't go into the gory details, but we had to nix the built in part of the desk because it would not fit in the elevator and had originally been hefted up 8 floors by some very disgruntled professional movers.  We also had to nix the reception desk because a) it took our IT guy to figure out how to detach the return part of the desk (after almost an hour's struggle by L) and b) when it finally was detached (the new space is much smaller and the full piece would not fit), the front section, resplendent in it's marble armor, was totally unbalanced and would have toppled forward if I moved too suddenly.

During the entire event (9 hours), the OA and AOA took their supervisory seats in the new space - all the better to direct the action (or inaction) - while the IT guy and I worked our respective butts off.  Let me tell you, by the time I steered my shaky self up my driveway, I was knackered.  I managed to stumble through dog-cat-sheep-llama-chicken-duck-turkey feeding before collapsing in my chair with a glass of wine.  I was comatose by 8:30 and slept 8 hours.  I took a 2 hour nap on Sunday and then slept another 8 hours.  I am now back to my normal 6.  Holey guacamoley.  I am now dealing with the hot mess that is the new office.  And finishing up with the hot mess that was our office.

I do like the new space - it is airy and light and I am surrounded by offices with actual people in them.  Plus I don't have to take the elevator, now being on the second floor.  Of course, after 22 years, I've taken the elevator to the old floor six times on autopilot.  At least the worst is over and I can now concentrate on condensing all the junk into a space that is one-sixth the size of the old one!  I call it training for my next life chapter.
The movers enjoyed my apple cake - eating it
was the only thing they did quickly.

13 comments:

Ed said...

I often bribe help with food and drinks. I think it is 50/50 whether it does any good.

Nancy In Boise said...

Wow, now that's cheap! Bummer

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i feed my workers all the time. i think it makes them take more breaks.

Mama Pea said...

Good golly! Is this what you do for fun and recreation on a weekend? (Sorry, that wasn't funny, was it?) You are such a kind hearted, thoughtful, sweetie to bake and take an apple cake for the movers.

Susan said...

How do people get these supervisory positions-not by the sweat of their brow, obviously.

ellen abbott said...

holy crap. I hate when the people who are supposed to be prepared aren't prepared. I like the way I move better. One box or one piece of furniture at a time spread out over a year or two.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That move sounds like a nightmare. Your last photo and caption made me laugh! Ain't that always the way?

Joanne Noragon said...

Glad it's over and was reasonable successful. It sure was a lotta work.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

So my first thought was (and I don't know what line of work you are in) couldn't your "bosses" who could afford huge tv.s and art and giant pieces of furniture have paid to have professional movers come and do this job? But then maybe that's a bit judgy. Let's hope you never have to enjoy another week like that again! Put your feet up. -Jenn

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Wow. Sounds like a like of work, but glad it's done now, huh? I had to laugh at the answer of "yes." When I asked Hubby a question of this or that, he answers "yes" and it drives me nuts, lol!

Retired Knitter said...

Moving no matter the stuff is always an adventure - or maybe a better word - is a pain.
Glad it is in your rear window now.

Lynne said...

Again your unbelieveable in all you do! You seem to be a very strong lady I know it's hard when your the only one that stands alone. All you have is your self to depend on, so they're no choices. Bottom line. That's where the big girl pants come into it all. Glad that most of that is over, maybe?? The apple cake looks yummy! bet your animals were worried about you and happy you were back home!! xo

Rain said...

I remember being in charge of an office move back in the day and our movers were lazy and disgruntled...though I didn't have any goodies to give them, maybe I should have lol!