Pages

Saturday, November 28, 2020

So special!

 

I had to replace the old pooper-scooper recently and when I received the new one, it came with a pair of white gloves.  According to the illustrated instructions, one was to don the gloves before putting the parts together.  Is one to also don said gloves whilst scooping the poop?  I wish Erma Bombeck was still around - she'd know the answer.

I opted not to gather on Thanksgiving this year.  The instances of Covid are rising and I have too many at-risk loved-ones.  The thing that pushed me over the edge was the last minute arrival of my niece - who I doubt follows any protocol for protecting herself from the virus.  I consoled myself with the thought of leftovers but, to my dismay, it appears that they dipped the turkey carcass in the Amazon River after dinner and the piranhas got anything edible.  At least there will be broth.  Geez.  While I was wallowing around in my pool of self-pity, I got a text from Marianne asking how my Thanksgiving went.  When I gave her the lowdown (boohoo), she packaged up a heap of leftovers for me.  Bless her.

The pups' holiday gift came early - two faux fur throws - and I might not see Peanut until spring.  He is burritoed on the left and you can just see Lovey's ear on the right.  I'd say they were pleased.  Slimmie has taken over the dogs comfy saucer bed, so we are set for the cold weather.  Whenever it comes.  So far, November has been warm and rain-filled.  And grey.  And gloomy.

On the medical front, there has been a victory!  After mulling it around, I decided that I would rather change doctors than change insurance.  I had visions of bureaucratic snafus abounding, as I tried to change from one company to another within a month.  I went online to check Humana's doctor network and, lo and behold, there was my orthopedic surgeon!  I took a deep breath and called to make an appointment.  When the receptionist asked, "Still BCBS?" I plunged in - no, Medicare with Humana.  She took my membership number without batting an eye.  It is a mystery, but I have an appointment with the surgeon next week.  Who would have thought I'd be so excited to see a surgeon!

Last week, I received two packages out of the blue from two of my ex-coworkers.  One packaged contained an almost lifetime supply of organic peppermint tea and the other contained this:


It is like a fairy cup - I swear!  It has irises on the saucer and cup, with a beautiful hummingbird handle.  Even the spoon is iris themed.  While they hoped I would think of them every time I had a cuppa, I cannot even think about using this precious object!  It is safely displayed in my hutch.

I am finally done with all the stuffies (although there are two very special ones I am planning on making for myself) and am moving on to more useful knitting, now that Christmas is looming large on the horizon.  How did that happen!?!  I'm working through my book purge - now combing the shelves of the cookbook collection - with tons more to go.  I have a particularly hard time parting with cookbooks, and my job is not made any easier every time I go into Marianne's store.  I have to be firm.  Pfft.

I hope you all had a comforting thanksgiving - or as comforting as it can be in these strange times.



19 comments:

Mama Pea said...

An appointment with the new surgeon already next week? Yes, I can see why you would be excited. May he be older than 16 (50 years older would be perfect), handsome, rich, single and have a wonderful bedside manner. (Oops, maybe office consultation manner would be more appropriate to say.) ;o) Hugs.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a beautiful teacup and spoon! I have seen that line of porcelain in stores and it is so delicate, I would be hesitant to actually use it too.

ellen abbott said...

glad to hear your medical issue will be dealt with forthwith. and what a beautiful teacup. I thought my sister would like that so I searched for it. holy cow! your ex-coworkers must really like you. so far no winter here which isn't all that unusual but it is usually a little cooler.

tpals said...

I'm afraid it won't be staying warm for long. Yippee for yummy leftovers! I wouldn't mind some myself.

Nancy In Boise said...

We wound up home, just the 2 of us for Thankguving meal, but 1 kiddo and Grandson came over for a visit, happy!;) we had a small turkey with the trimmings.

Steve Reed said...

That's a beautiful cup! I guess you can use a normal cup to drink from while gazing at your gift cup. :)

Glad your medical situation got sorted out as well!

Goatldi said...

I had lunch with my sister and her husband yesterday as his family has a rather large gathering on Thursday and they actually both ended up not going to that at the last minute. So it was kind of fun to drive down yesterday and have early dinner lunch brunch with them and then a few stops on the way home and I was on my way up the mountain back about an hour before the sun decided to go careening down in the western sky

Kiss your pups for me and of course the obligatory cat.

Theresa Y said...

Yep, we isolated ourselves too. No grandbabies this year. But a quiet peaceful day with lots to be grateful for. We are all still healthy.

linnellnickerson@gmail.com said...

Your puppies look very content! Glad you got your insurance squared away and got an orthopedic Dr. Good luck with everything. This Thanksgiving was a quiet one here, but nice . Can't wait to see what your Knitting next. Stay safe!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

the tea cup and spoon are just too special. are they handmade? it was SO nice of marianne to give you leftovers. i would have fed you if you were closer!

Rosalea said...

That is quite the 'pooper scooper', and what a beautiful cup and saucer. Glad you got some TG dinner. (leftovers are the best) You are lucky to get such an immediate appointment, and here's wishing you a smooth journey to getting that hip fixed!

Joanne Noragon said...

My potter friend sent me a beautiful plate with a note: when this came out of the kiln, it called your name, so here it is.
When that beautiful tea cup and saucer and tea spoon showed up in a shop window or a fairy catalog, it called out your name. I hope you love it for years.

Michelle said...

Oh, HURRAY on the surgeon – and too funny on the included white gloves!

Debby said...

The teacup set is a work of art! Exquisitely done.

I am glad for your appointment. That's got to be a relief. I hope that if you find yourself recuperating from surgery during the winter, the dogs will take pity on you and share their furry throws.

Retired Knitter said...

I am with you. That cup looks to delicate to use. Beautiful!! Love the picture of the dogs in a blanket!! Haha.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Beautiful teacup set. We just had Thanksgiving with the 4 of us here this year. After having to bury my Dad the day before I was in no mood to cook, so take out was ours this year. Our one daughter with the grands tested positive for Covid. Thankfully, we haven't been around them.

Ed said...

I belong to a group that wears white gloves during ceremonies. I do lots of bleach soaks to keep them gloves looking white.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

What's the surgeon for? I can't even see any animal in those furry blankets..lol! I hope you didn't catch any Covid from your niece! What's up with the inconsiderate behavior of "youngins"? No leftovers? that's a crime....but what a wonderful friend to bring you some. That teacup is truly a work of art and belongs in a museum....or your hutch.
I have been going through my books too. I'm looking into selling them. Google selling books as there are many options and they pay the shipping in many cases. Take care!

CynthiaInOlympia said...

Good luck on th Doctor and the surgery. Things just need maintenance when we get older, don't they?
That piece of art...the teacup and spoon...I would be looking at it every day and finding inspiration.