Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It's Complicated.

The one thing I can count on is that nothing I undertake is simple. Sure, it may start out simple - say, like raising a few chickens. Before you know it, you have chickens in all manner of 'special needs'. And special needs need special housing. Right now, in my small operation, I have a) a paraplegic hen recuperating (I hope) in a redwood dog house now rigged up as the infirmary in a special fenced in area that also houses the rabbit; b) duck quarters (photo above - no comments, plz, about my carpentry skills) which include an A-frame building that they hate, my late quail cage - partially deconstructed, then adopted by Grendal the duck as her nesting spot - also fenced; c) the main coop occupied by my 20-something chickens, Junior rooster, Alfie and Puff, the odd-duck couple (both figuratively and literally) who take offense to the duck quarters and prefer the coop, Dotty Duck & Attila the Hen - nestmates, and the five pullets - the Violets, Prissie, Peanut, and Almond - who, until last night, lived in; d) the nursery coop, now occupied by Marie-Claire and Home-Chick (photo below). Each of these set-ups require their own food and water dishes, security devices (aka doors), etc. When I came in from chores yesterday morning, there was a message on my voicemail alerting me to the fact that my 12 meat chicks would be arriving this morning. Sigh. I am, however, about half-ready for them. That is quite an improvement to my previous endeavors. They will be housed NOT in my laundry room, but in a donated galvanized water tub, equipped with a hardware cloth lid, hanging heat lamp and all the appropriate accouterments - situated in my shed. Which, in turn, had to be varmintized - meaning nailing boards over large/small holes, more hardware cloth over obvious openings. The upshot of all this is - learn to plan ahead. Realistically, I never do this and, most likely, never will. Then again, I have gained all manner of new skills - chicken first aid, carpentry skills, reusing/recycling/rethinking. It's not all bad.

3 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Heck, I don't think the hotel/hospice/hospital/nursery/assisted living/permanent housing facilities you've constructed look or sound bad at all!

All of our set-ups would look much different (I'm assuming) if we had unlimited budgets and time. (First, we'll start with a full-sized barn . . . )

Susan said...

You know, I'd put a barn on my bucket list, but I don't want to wait that long! I like to describe the architecture style as Beverly Hillbillies meets Appalachia meets I.M. Pei. The I.M. Pei is wishful thinking.

Mama Pea said...

I'm sure the animals appreciate the I.M. Pei intentions. ;o)