Pages

Friday, March 4, 2022

Note to self: Act your age

 My wifi mysteriously went out a week ago and it's taken until today to solve the problem.  Let's not even consider how many hours of phone-hold time were involved.  At least Verizon has bearable hold music.  Or should that be bare-ably music...  In any event - here I am!

Not much of any significance has been going on.  There has been some knitting.

Matchy-matchy!

One pair down and another on the needles.

There has been cooking.

Sauteed mushrooms,  onions
and spinach

On a polenta base

There has been a lot of driving.

There has been Mom-sitting.  This also gives me more time with my middle sis, so all is good.  But, crikey!  Just shoot me before I hit 90.  The lifestyle is so slow, it goes backwards.

I have also been working on little projects/chores/niggly bits.  I repaired the squirrel damage (for now) to my squirrel proof bird feeder (an oxymoron, if I ever heard one),  I repaired the coop hen door, just in time for their exodus.  I started pepper and scallion seeds and am gearing up to start some early kale.

Speaking of kale - there will be something new in the garden!  If these babies come to be, I will be pinning a blue ribbon from the county fair on my lapel.,

Photo from Rareseeds.com

Oh, man, I can hardly wait to plant this!  Think of the salads!  I could feed the town - town, heck.  With enough of these, I could feed the state.  Especially since I doubt most of my neighbors would eat kale.

Since I was so wound up about my burst of get-er-done energy, I decided to tackle one job that has been on my list for far too long - tightening the legs on my dining room table.  The dang thing has been heaving and leaning in a most alarming manner for months.  I rooted around in my tools (organizing and downsizing of same is still on the list) and got my wrench kit.  Then I flipped the table on its side.  Oy.  Then I flipped it on its top/back.  Oy VEY.  I crept around all four corners, tightening bolts and whinging and whining, then realized I had to put it right side up.  This is no sissy table.  This is a bespoke (sorry, couldn't help myself) table built from Mexican door parts, with neato drawers for napkins.  It weighs a TON.  I managed to ignore it for a while, lying on it's back/top like a big pine turtle.  I vacuumed around it, made a cup of tea, did some knitting, but there was no getting around it (literally and figuratively).  It had to be righted.  I was having my neighbor over for dinner and it's the only dining surface in the house.  I doubted he would take to a picnic on the floor with the dogs.  At 88, it's not feasible to get up and down without help.  Heck, at my age, I have enough trouble myself.  So.... I pulled up my BGP and woman-handled it to its side, then braced a leg with my foot and heaved.  I managed it, but SweetLouise.  I do tend to forget that I am not 30.  Or 40.  Or 50.  You get the picture.  In my mind, I am ageless and invincible.  But that is the only place where those two qualities reside.

I administered Ibuprofen and adult liquids before bed.




14 comments:

Michelle said...

That sounds like one handsome table; we need a photo of it! Also eagerly awaiting your review of that monster kale.

Nancy In Boise said...

I've had to listen really heavy things like that before too! And really paid for it the next day hahaha. Glad you got your table fixed though. Not quite spring here yet or still waiting but those are some pretty huge kale leaves! My chickens would love that!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Ibuprofen and adult liquids -- I hear ya, sister.

Marcia LaRue said...

Good to see your update and I agree ... Wrestling heavy furniture is not fun nor advisable the older you (we) get!

Joanne Noragon said...

I had kale and split pea soup yesterday. Tasty!
I cannot believe you righted that table. I might have rigged a rope through the window, from a table leg to the truck.

Mama Pea said...

It's remarkable what we can do when we have to do it. Yay to you for getting the table back upright. May the legs stay straight and strong forever now.

I know it must be hard to see your mom not being very active ( or at all active?) at 90 but just remember there are some lovely individuals out there that are still going full steam ahead at that age (perhaps with a small hitch in their get-a-long now and then) and I have a strong feeling you would be one of them. Hugs.

gz said...

Wow. You were busy!
My kids used to call that Mumpower...

Ed said...

That mushroom, onion, spinach, polenta dish made my mouth water thinking about it. Anything special to the recipe or pretty much straight forward?

Retired Knitter said...

I agree with Michelle - pictures of the table now - and of the kale late summer!!!!!!

Leigh said...

Sounds like you got your exercise for the month wrestling that table! No wonder it took so long to get to it.

I absolutely love your socks. I'm trying some giant kale too, I wonder if it's the same kind. I can't remember!

ellen abbott said...

Kale...ick. I used to heft heavy glass around like it was plastic. Now a 40 or 50 pound bag of dirt or sand gives me pause but only for a moment. Yesterday I was heaving sandstone slabs in place for the walkway. Good thing I ran out of sand before I ran out of strength.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes pictures of the table now!

Yarrow said...

Crikey, that made me giggle, especially adult liquids! I had to turn the mattress on my Superking size bed some time ago. It involved a broom handle to support it mid-turn and the bromm slipped and I was nearly trapped beneath! I'm waiting for my son to arrive before I attempt this again!!!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Congratulations! I too think I am strong and invincible and I do pretty good but I have had to stop carrying the 40lb bag of salt into the house I'm fine until I get to the steps and although my arms are strong my one knee gives out. So, now I open the bag in the car and scoop some into a bucket and make several trips to the softner. It's slow but at least I won't fall. Take it easy on yourself!