Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Thar she blows!

 It's been gloriously warmish and sunny over the past few days.  So, so difficult to keep from running amok with spring fever.  I've started more seeds - flowers this time - three kinds of sunflowers, sweet peas, zinnias, and balloon flowers.  I allowed myself to be thrown under the power of the poppies in the Bakers Creek catalog.  There should be a warning label on that catalog.

Of course, our forecast calls for ice, sleet and snow tomorrow, into Thursday.  Le sigh.  However, today the sun is out full-tilt, but it has gotten pretty nippy.  I was out with the garden cart earlier, starting on the megajob of hauling out a few (hundred) loads of chicken flotsam from the coop and looking forward to a cozy fire in the fireplace, when a hellish dry wind whipped up and distributed most of a cart load in every direction for miles (my neighbors can thank me for the free fertilizer).  It's one of those dangerous zero-humidity high winds that can take a spark and create an inferno.  I'm hoping none of my neighbors decided to burn their Christmas trees today.  There's a steady wind, but there are also gusts that are strong enough to blow the hair off your head (especially if it's loosely attached...)  No fire for us tonight.

I had forgotten to keep track of my Defensive Driving discount on my auto insurance and was shocked into action when I received notice that my monthly bill was going up.  I signed up for the AARP course because, as a member, I get a discounted rate.  The downside is that you are constantly made to feel that you have one foot in the grave and are a danger to all on the road.  Fergodsake.  They give you little pop quizzes to judge your level of decrepitude - totally bogus.  I answered all of them correctly and was treated to dire warnings that I need to see my GP about my declining mental and physical health.  The nerve.  Quite frankly, the only interesting nugget of information that I came out with at the end of the (brainfreezingly long) course was that tires have a shelf life of six years and you should ask your mechanic how old they are before buying them.

Speaking of cognitive health, I am taking a Spanish course online.  I know I am getting better at it because I am no longer answering in Anglo-Dutch-Spanish.  This reminds me of the time I went fly fishing with a girlfriend off the banks on Long Island, many moons ago.  We completely missed the LARGE no-fishing sign and were merrily casting away, when a F and G officer swaggered up to arrest us.  Probably not to arrest us, but he looked a bit menacing.  When he pointed out the sign, I started babbling in a mixture of Dutch/Spanish, nodding and smiling.  P followed suit, without the babbling.  He slowed his speech down to mono-syllables and upped the volume - NO FISHY HERE.   I babbled some more, both of us nodding and smiling, and we scampered back to P's car.  La phew.

For those of you who requested it, here is The Table:

It is presently, as you can clearly see, the hub of my garden-planning/seed-starting activity.


13 comments:

Ed said...

I wish I could get away with such a stunt but I just look like an English speaker. Perhaps I can go to a foreign country and get away with it but then I risk being thrown into a dungeon never to be seen again.

Mama Pea said...

Our ice/sleet/rain/snow storm must be headed your way. It's supposed to keep on to make our lives difficult until tomorrow afternoon. I shouldn't complain though because if it's going to give us the 16" of ice and snow predicted, it's gonna have to pick it up quite a bit. Yep, it's typical March weather here. Blowsy and damp!

Your table looks magazine spread ready and I personally love to see a table used as a work area. I've been asked why I need such a big kitchen table and I reply it's because I want to be able to spread out something "in progress" on half of it while still having a wee bit of room for us to eat at the opposite end.

How did you ever think fast enough to speak in Dutch/Spanish to get out of that fly fishing fiasco?

Joanne Noragon said...

I had that good driver discount from Progressive. I'm to the point in my life where I do not drive nearly so much. I got a plug in device to record my habits for six months. All my monthly reports had to say was "Sharp braking!" I wound up saving a thousand dollars annually on my car insurance.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"No fishy here," LOL! That was pretty smart and fast thinking on your part!

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I like your big harvest table! We are also in for some freezing rain tomorrow. I’ve not planted or ordered a single seed. Yet. -Jenn

AnnieK said...

TWICE in one week, God bless you. Always look forward to your posts

Steve Reed said...

That's a great story about the fishing. Quick thinking! Driving courses are always so tedious.

wyomingheart said...

That table is perfect…perhaps could become a catch all in this house, lol ! Great job on trying to discount that blasted insurance!

tpals said...

A lot of my seeds aren't sprouting. Must be time to clean out the old ones and invest in an order.

Retired Knitter said...

A very handsome table!!

ellen abbott said...

Nice table, nice rug! I should already be up to my elbows in dirt cleaning out the flower beds and getting seeds in but I just haven't been inspired.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

You always make me smile! Glad to see some seed starting...none here but I should. Things are blooming here but windy and chilly and then we'll go right into summer.
I loved your fishing story with the language difficulty...too funny. that is a beautiful table....looks antique...I love all things old.
enjoy Springtime!

Haddock said...

Ha ha .... like that.... No Fishy here.