Pages

Friday, March 18, 2022

Spring is coming in on a musical note.

 I am basking in the glory of birdsong this morning.  Robins are everywhere, I have heard the all-important-to-spring redwing blackbirds, and today I heard my first bluebird.  O frabjous day!  I also noticed that the red squirrel has been chewing on the opening to the bluebird house.  Bloody rodents.

The back deck has received its first brooming and I hope there is time for it to dry before the rain starts tomorrow.  Both dogs are comatose, having spent a good half hour racing through the sheep paddocks, enjoying the space and smells.  

I am contemplating a gluten free Irish soda bread for Sunday dinner with my sister and mother.  Speaking of which/whom (mother) things are definitely on the downward slide.  It seems like someone flipped the dementia switch and there is very little conversing with her now.  There's a lot of back and forth to VT now and I'm trying to support my sister as much as possible.  Mom is going into comfort care at home and I am very grateful that Vermont has such a great elder care set-up and that my sister is such a rare gem.

Meanwhile, I've been starting seeds and just standing outside, taking deep breaths.  And trying not to think of ticks.

Another entry into my wacko life journal - yesterday, when I went to drop off Mom's tax info, I aimed my key fob at the door to unlock it and, instead of hearing the usual beep, I heard a Canada goose honk.  Pause.  Tried again, same thing.  But it was all in the timing - I looked up to see two geese flying overhead.  It made me think that Subaru should offer various animal sounds on their remote devices.  You could recreate an entire jungle in a parking garage!

My Irish wish to you all:

May the wind be always at your back and up your nose, and may your blessings outweigh your woes.

(Sometimes I just kill myself...)

13 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like Spring has sprung at your place!

ellen abbott said...

Spring has had a rough start here with all the intermittent freezes but I think it's finally here to stay. I've had to bring my bird feeder in as one squirrel was on it eating as fast as it could while two others waited on the next branch for their turn like it was a chow line for the homeless.

Sorry to hear about your mom.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

your mom is so lucky to have the devoted daughters that you guys are.

Mama Pea said...

The last few days have brought a lot of melting in our neck o' the woods, but I know your "spring" is still far ahead of ours. Enjoy it before the next cold snap (there's always at least one). The air just feels and smells different, doesn't it?

I'm so sorry to hear your dear mom is failing. A really difficult period for all involved. Hugs.

Michelle said...

Ah, this time of life, when our parent(s) are at THAT time of life. Hugs and prayers to you and your sisters; my dad is supposed to be discharged from the hospital to hospice care tomorrow.

Marcia LaRue said...

Good to read an update from you but really sorry about your Mom. Enjoy as many of the good moments with her as you and your Sis can.

Joanne Noragon said...

It has been so lovely out and is forecast the same for the next two weeks. Be still my heart!

Ed said...

Sorry to hear about your mom’s decline. Although I lost my mom young, the one positive is that I never saw her like that. I imagine it is a very tough thing to experience.

Florida Farm Girl said...

I'm so sorry that dementia has taken a firm hold on your Mom. I hope she fares as well as she can. Bless you and your sister for taking care of her. We're seeing all kinds of single birds which are normally harbingers of spring. Bring it on, I am so ready.

Steve Reed said...

That's funny about the goose honk. I'm sorry to hear about your mom, but as you know my own mom is also dealing with dementia so I get it. :/

Theresa Y said...

Your mom is blessed to have such caring children.

Retired Knitter said...

hahaha! Love the goose story.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

So sorry to hear about your Mom and I'm glad you have sisterly support. I am an only child and trust me...that was no fun for them or me.
I hope you had a great St. Patty's Day and may the luck of the Irish be with you always!