Pages

Monday, April 7, 2014

Busy is My Middle Name.

The weekend was one of those half-n-half kinds you get in the spring.  Saturday was grey, drizzly, windy, dank.  Sunday was sunny, breezy, warmish and got one all charged up.

Saturday was also:



Greenhouse before weeding (well, just started)

Greenhouse weeded (with my partner in crime)

The barn

Looking at the orchard
DS Melanie and I met at the farm and started on the greenhouse.  It was perfect weather to be snug inside a giant, weedy greenhouse.  We managed to get a mountain of weeds pulled and tossed in a compost pile and even planted a row of peas!  We then took a stroll around our (free) leased bonanza - you can tell how beautiful the view is from the orchard pic, although it wasn't an optimum photo op.  We manged to find the asparagus bed (that's next on our list), the blueberries, gooseberries, raspberries, and rhubarb - which needs dividing.  It felt so good to stretch and bend.  So good, in fact, that I completely forgot that I hadn't stretched that much in months.  I wasn't bending much Sunday morning....  But I was fired up enough to start my seeds and got a large flat of Savoy cabbage, eggplant, peppers (hot and sweet), and four kinds of tomatoes going and on their warm seeding mats. 

Sunday morning was spent at my parents' going over some foundation work with a friend who is giving them a hand.  As I imagine many of you know, the elderly are increasingly targeted by scams and villains.  That is why anything they need done, goes through me and my sisters.  It has nothing to do with my control issues.

Scrappy was with me all day on Sunday - we paid a visit to the same friend's new rescue dog, Roscoe.  Roscoe is a giant, black, 2 y/o Lab/Rottie mix.  He has a head the size of a dinner plate and WAY too much testosterone.  Scrappy was not impressed.  I thought, perversely, that this might loosen him up for the girl who is coming to stay -- tomorrow.  Maybe he'll be so relieved she is not twice his size and intent on humping him at every opportunity, that he will love her immediately.  Right.

I dragged my ladder out and trimmed the willow hedges so that they will branch out, instead of up.  I also gave the goaties their second dose of wormer, with more of it going in them than on me this time.  It was also nice enough to do all the dog laundry and put it on the line.  Joy!

5 comments:

Fiona said...

Oh what a beautiful property...lots of work but the right kind of work! The green house looks awesome and the view of the orchard made me thing of all things apple! Your going to so enjoy this place! Good luck with the new girl. Happy spring!

Sue said...

What a gorgeous place! I would so love to weed the weedy greenhouse. Oh, to enjoy warmth and smell that "earthy" smell.
At times it may not feel like it, but dear, you lead a charmed life!

Tyche's Minder said...

Wait. What did I miss? Free leased farm? This place is beautiful! Orchard? Greenhouse? I am so jealous!

Mama Pea said...

Methinks you are heading into one crazy, busy, new, exciting spring and summer both at home and on your (free) leased land. Geesh, can you squeeze anything else into your full (and fulfilling) life?

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

Your like the energizer bunny that keeps going and going and going!!!

Nice greenhouse and orchard, I'm so green!!!!