Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

Got Quirks?

Hoo boy, do I!  This weekend proved a disaster to my pre-winter outside prep work, thanks to cold drizzle or downright rain all weekend.  I did manage to knock a few things off the list, but very few.  Instead, I focused on inside work.  As I was out of granola again, that moved to the top of my list.  And, in the process, I managed to sort through, rearrange, toss out, and organize my dried stuff.  I found a small jar of dried strawberries and tons of dried apples.  Into the granola they went.

The quirky part of all this blah-blah-blah, is that I hate mixing the granola.  HATE it.  Because the only way I can make it the way I like it (with clumpy little bits of peanut butter), is to mix it with my hands.  I suffer from some kind of hand-phobia-thingy.  If I have to mix anything with my hands that may stick to my hands, I end up - after about one minute - running to the sink, holding my hands up, crying "ACK! ACK! ACK!" or something similar.  I cannot wait to get whatever it is off my hands.  You can imagine how long it takes me to mix up a meatloaf.  It's weird.  But, what is even weirder is that I discovered that I do not have the same reaction if I only mix whatever with one hand.  If one hand stays coating-free, I am fine.  Call the "head" doctor!

Mostly yesterday, though, I played hooky from my list and I knitted.  And knitted.  I have, so far, finished two pixie hats, a baby bonnet, a pair of fingerless mitts, and am zeroing in on another tot hat with earflaps and ties.  To go - another bonnet and another earflap hat.  I am a knitting fool.  This is abetted by my new stash of my favorite yarn - "Dye-namics" - from my DS Melanie!  I am going to take a picture of the remaining skeins and post them - her colorways are wonderful and she has the most wonderful sock-weight yarn that is between sport and fingering.  My mother (91 and still an avid sock-knitter) will only knit with Melanie's yarn.  I was very excited to hear that she is (finally) putting up an Etsy site.  Which I will plug mercilessly because A) she is my DS and I love her; B) her yarn is the BEST; and C) her colors and self-stripers are amazing.  And it's all hand-dyed and reasonably priced.  Who could ask for more?  No one.

14 comments:

Sue said...

I understand the "hands FULL of gunk" phobia. (?)
Hubby laughs at me. If I'm mixing something up, I must end up washing my hands AT LEAST 5 times. At least. Sometimes more (a LOT more). WTH????? But at least it's better than a friend who lets the dogs eat (lick lick lick) gummy stuff off her hands and continues to mix up whatever. GAG..Needless to say--I NEVER eat a thing from her house!!!

Carolyn said...

Add yet another "Hand full of gunk phobic" person to your list. I'll start out using a huge wooden spoon to mix the meatloaf, but eventually give up and use my hands....and wash them every fifteen seconds.
I SO have to learn how to knit.....crocheted stuff is beautiful, but there are so many knitting things I'd like to.

Susan said...

Sue - My dogs couldn't lick it off fast enough.... :) Kidding. I am so glad I am not the only one. It really does drive me crazy!

Susan said...

Carolyn - I'll trade ya! You come up and teach me how to crochet and I will teach you how to knit!

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

Add me to the list! I can't mix anything without buying those disposable gloves from the dollar store. Meatloaf is the worst - even with the gloves on I am gagging and wishing for a root canal over making that!! I wish I could knit more than just scarves - I need to get out of my comfort zone and even learn how to increase or decrease...just not there yet!

Susan said...

Mrs DM - Thank goodness! I feel so much more normal... :) I avoided socks for the longest time until my mother sat me down and showed me. I just cannot learn from reading. I am a see it to get it learner.

Fiona said...

Holy Knitting frenzy Batman! have you tried wearing latex gloves to mix things? Is that feasible?

Susan said...

Fiona - Alas, latex gloves give me the most heebie-jeebies. I am just resigned to mixing one-handed.

Mama Pea said...

I am here to attest to the fact that you can successfully mix up meatloaf without getting your hands into it . . . using only a wooden spoon. I've always done it that way because I am a member the club of hating the yuck of having my hands all gunked up with meat or other sticky-wicky stuff. Does it stem from feeling helpless (to do what? I dunno) with both hands so messy? Maybe that's why you can do it one-handed. Thereby leaving one hand to quickly handle whatever "emergency" happens in the middle of meatloaf making. Or granola making.

Love that you've jumped into knitting with both feet. I mean hands. Me, too. But I'm sure not as prolific as you are, you knitting fiend you. ;o)

LindaCO said...

Go knitter! Looking forward to seeing pics of the yarn.

Susan said...

Mama Pea - You must have mightier biceps than I do - my mixing arm leaves a lot to be desired. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what causes all the anxiety. But there it is. Oh yes, I have quite a list of to-knits! But it's a great way to seque into the day - especially when one is up at 4A and it's dark until 7...

Susan said...

Linda - Hi there! I ran out of time this morning (tues) but hope to get pics of the yarn up tomorrow. Are you still knitting? Banjoing?

Fiona said...

I had to laugh...heebie jeebies is the best description.....and dates us a tad!

Carolyn said...

Can I bring the goat gang? Because that's the only way I think I'd be able to get away from the farm.