Pages

Friday, October 10, 2014

Sequeing into Winter.

 


This is my favorite tree.  It positively glows red - like a huge, brief flare. 

I have been working on getting the garden and outside ready for winter.  This entails checking off my extensive list.  Having learned from (many) mistakes over the years, I keep a master list in a notebook and check it off each fall.  Too many things have fallen through the cracks when I attempt to re-make the list each year.

 
Every year I try to add one thing to make winter easier.  Things like heated water buckets, outside lighting and...the garage.  I still get all giddy about it.  It may not be much, but it is going to make my wintertime life easier.  I will be able to store my wheelbarrows and Snow Wolf in it.  I will not have to scrap an inch of ice off my windows.  I will be easier to live with.

 

The kids will benefit from this, believe you me.

14 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Bring on the snow you are prepared:):) Hug B

LindaCO said...

All hail the new garage! What a great idea.

Susan said...

This is my 2nd attempt, blogger seems to have taken against my comments, not just on your blog either. You are so sensible and proactive-making lists and methodically planning improvements. I need to follow your example instead of breaking down in a hissy fit over things.

Michelle said...

So, how much snow-load can that garage handle? You certainly don't need the vexation that a collapse some work morning would cause!

Susan said...

Buttons - I'm going to be as prepared as I can!

Susan said...

Linda! I have been thinking about you - hope all is well in beautiful Colorado.

Susan said...

Susan - I hate to admit it, but I am prone to many hissy fits ... there are always new 'challenges' to tackle each year.

Susan said...

Michelle - I have been thinking about that, and have decided to run boards under the tarp and across the framing to help combat the snow load. That and being a light sleeper (I can hear snow fall) will - hopefully - get me and my garage through the winter without either one of us collapsing.

Mama Pea said...

Oh, having your car free of ice and snow every morning will be so wonderful. The sad thing here is we have a one-car garage but rarely have it empty enough to pull a vehicle in. But it makes a difference that we don't have to get in a vehicle and take off every morning first thing as you do.

My first thought was the same as Michelle's . . . what about the snow-load? Do you have a snow rake? The roof of your "garage" is low enough that it would be fairly easy ("fairly easy" in the dead of winter means something different than at other times of the year!) for you to keep any piled up snow pulled off of it to either side.

Susan said...

Mama Pea - Bless your heart! That was the one thing that did not make it onto the Master List! I am getting one this weekend!

Acorn to Oak said...

That tree is gorgeous! Sounds like your new garage will be great for winter. Yay! Have a wonderful weekend!

Unknown said...

Great tree, wow!!! I'm going to whack back the veggies garden this weekend to expose the green tomatoes. Everything else is going into the compost pile....

LindaCO said...

I'm a putz and think a lot about blogging but haven't done anything about it. Will try again. Thanks for your kind words. All is well - busy but good.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Wow, that tree is stunning! And yes, the little helps we give ourselves... :-)